City of Fertile EDA/HRA
In June of 2009 the City Council approved the formation of an Economic Development Authority with Housing Rehabilitation Authority Powers. The purpose of the Fertile EDA is to provide encouragement, loan funds and economic incentives to strengthen Fertile’s economy by assisting both new and existing businesses and industries. Through its Housing Authority powers, the EDA is also able to provide low interest loans for income eligible residents for housing rehabilitation.
The EDA is comprised of a seven member Board that meets bi-monthly.
- EDA Board Members:
- Todd Christian, President
- Anders Macy, Vice President
- Gary Kiefert, Secretary
- Jane Opdahl, Commissioner
- Karin Braun, Commissioner
- Reid Jensrud, Commissioner and Council Representative
- Todd Wise, Commissioner and Council Representative
Since 2009 the EDA has been very active in promoting economic growth and stability by playing a vital role in the following:
- Provided 17 low interest loans to 15 businesses for start-up, rehabilitation and/or expansion.
- Provided low interest loans to three homeowners for housing improvements.
- Provided one loan to non-profit for community garden project.
- Construction of Fair Meadow Assisted Living which provides 19 assisted living apartments.
- Establishment and improvement of TIF Housing Subdivision with 18 large residential lots.
- Establishment and improvement of TIF Industrial District with 12 shovel ready lots.
- Provided for incentives to promote purchase and development of lots in Industrial Park.
For further information on Fertile’s EDA and the services and assistance they provide, please contact:
PO Box 628
Fertile, MN 56540
- Lots Available:
The City of Fertile owns an Industrial Park with 32 lots for sale. The Industrial Park is located on the north edge of Fertile with easy access to Highway 32, County Highway 12, and 105th Ave. SW. Of the lots available for sale, 12 of the lots have water and sewer available and are shovel ready. The lots range in size from 34,300 to 46,900 square feet.
- Business Incentives
The City of Fertile EDA is offering incentives to businesses and industries that wish to locate in the Industrial Park. Lots can be purchased with a low down payment of only $2,500 and a generous two-year payment plan. As part of this payment plan, future payments can be eliminated entirely by meeting certain benchmarks established by the EDA.
Water and sewer hook-up fees are also quite low and can also be paid for over time. In addition, City of Fertile water and sewer rates are also quite low in comparison to surrounding communities.
Finally, the City of Fertile EDA offers low interest loans to assist with a portion of start-up costs. This loan can also quite often be included with owner’s funds to meet down payment loan requirements from private lenders.
- Peterson's Subdivision:
Peterson’s Subdivision is a new housing subdivision located on the northern edge of the City. There are 18 large residential lots available located on a quiet cul-de-sac that offers a rural feel with full City services of water and sewer. Hook-up fees are reasonably priced and can be paid for on a monthly payment plan included on the monthly water bill.
- 24/7 awake staff
- 2 bedroom, 1 bedroom, or studio apartments
- Full kitchens or partial kitchens available
- Access to washer/dryer
- Commons (kitchen, dining, living room)
- Beauty/Barber shop
- Air Conditioning
- Ambulance fee
In 2012, the EDA, working in collaboration with community members, developed plans for an assisted living facility to better serve the growing needs of our aging population. The EDA and the City Council then worked to secure financing to build a 19 unit assisted living facility.
The assisted living is located on the same block as Fair Meadow Nursing Home and Summerfield Apartments, which is an independent living apartment building for older residents. All three buildings can be accessed through connecting corridors.
Fair Meadow Assisted Living offers new 2 bedroom, 1 bedroom and studio apartments. Each resident can maintain their highest level of self-care and independence both physically and mentally, with all the comforts of home!